What happened to the blog?

damnit

I’ve been surprised by how many people have seemed to enjoy reading the Bell Tone Synth Works blog and now feel bad that it has been neglected so much in recent months. So what happened to the blog? Basically, the blog is a victim of its own success. I started the blog when I started the business and didn’t have many clients, to sort of get our name out there, make our site more findable on Google and prove to prospective clients that I knew what I was doing, aware that as a somewhat young woman working in a field undeniably dominated by middle-aged and older men, my knowledge and skills might be met with skepticism, conscious or subconscious. I also wanted to store my notes on my repairs somewhere so that I could refer to them later, and figured I might as well put them where other people could find them too.

Memory Moog restored at Bell Tone Synth Works
MemoryMoog restored at Bell Tone Synth Works

Now, partly thanks to the blog and our YouTube channel but also to a great extent due to word of mouth and our growing reputation for doing good work (which is great), we have so much demand for our work that I often feel like I can’t spare the time it takes to write here.

many Juno 106
my personal Juno record: I repaired six Juno 106’es (and three 60s) in a week and a half… they never stop coming!

We have been fixing more cool synths and other stuff than ever though! Here are some photos of a few of the things we’ve worked on lately: 

minimoog model d card edge connector repair
pinning up a replacement card edge connector for a horribly damaged MiniMoog Model D
the ElectroComp EML-100
the ElectroComp EML-100
extreme battery leakage damage on a Rhodes Chroma PCB
extreme battery leakage damage on a Rhodes Chroma PCB… a long road to recovery
MiniKorg 700s
MiniKorg 700S, one of Darian’s favorites
adjustment and calibration for a Roland Space Echo
adjustment and calibration for a Roland Space Echo
red SH-101
red Roland SH-101
the intricate keyboard action of the Wurlitzer 214 electric piano
the intricate keyboard action of the Wurlitzer 214 electric piano
we did multiple Moog Sources back to back
we did multiple Moog Sources back to back… actually it’s “Moog The Source”
Hammond B3 rear view
“I suppose I am at least more qualified to work on a Hammond B3 than the average civilian, so… sure”
the lovely Hawk RE-2150 stereo tape echo, before being fitted with a custom-spliced BASF tape loop
the lovely Hawk RE-2150 stereo tape echo, before being fitted with a custom-spliced BASF tape loop
Roland Juno 60 PCB repair
extreme PCB repairs on a Roland Juno 60 that had a very rough life

We have a waiting list now so even if you need something fixed but might not be quite ready to bring it yet, it’s still best to get in touch sooner rather than later. The best way to reach us is by email: belltonesynthworks (AT) gmail.com.

All right, well… back to work!

3 thoughts on “What happened to the blog?”

  1. Some neat synths worked on. That EML-100 is pretty rare, not nearly as common as the 101. And the lovely Source, I wonder what pittance I sold mine for in the 90s, $600?

  2. Oh, that poor Chroma! There is a replacement CPU board available, or at least was, a few years ago. It’s wonderful, and gets away from the unreliable nature of the OEM board. I just can’t remember if it piggybacks on the damaged board in your pic, or completely replaces it. Would be glad to open mine up and take a peek, though.

    1. Thanks Richard– the damaged board in the photo was actually one of the voice boards, and it was the worst of 5 boards that had been damaged by the battery leak, 4 out of the 8 voice boards and the “Channel bus motherboard”. The CPU board was actually not too physically bad though it had a bad CPU, DAC and at least two or three corrupt EPROMS. We’ve now got it all working except for that one voice board, but it’s looking like we’re even going to be able to save that one too!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *