Juno 60 (#2) and Junoes 106 (#12,13)

Roland Juno 60

We had a week full of Junos (Junoes?), with three Juno 60s and four Juno 106es here all at once. These are the ones I did last week in between grinding away at various aspects of an insane Minimoog Model D restoration I’m working on and building a new power supply for a Rhodes Chroma.

some more Juno 106es

I believe this is the 12th and 13th Juno 106 I’ve worked on. I’m starting to feel like it’s pointless and unnecessary to post about them here and only doing it because I have a compulsion to be thorough.

Working on a 60 and 106 in direct succession really reinforces how much better the build quality of the 60 compared to the 106 is though.

corroded capacitors from the Juno 60

Still, they share a lot of components and certain problems. Here are some nasty capacitors I pulled out of the power supply of the Juno 60. If you ever doubt whether it’s necessary to always replace power supply capacitors, know that about half of the 80s Rolands I work on have PSU caps that look like this.

Crumbling slider gaskets from a Juno 106

Here are what the slider gaskets looked like on one of the 106es. This is why 106es so often have jittery, scratchy sliders. Not just from external dust, but from this stuff falling into the slider tracks! I replace them with new ones hand-cut from stiffened felt. The Juno 60s have much sturdier, foam rubber gaskets.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *